Comments

To view or make a comment, click on the word "comments" at the very bottom of the post, next to the pencil.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Self-Confidence

“There is no deeper principle in human nature than the craving to be appreciated"
                  ~ William James, father of American psychology

I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times as a teenager it was suggested I grow up. I never remember it offered as a casual suggestion. More often the message had a fire lit under it. And I seem to remember the main advice given to me was usually to be realistic.

In my adult years I became much more realistic. But I pride myself in not having overdone it. I’m a dreamer. Always was, always will be. I'm just blessed to have been able to provide well for my family and still build castles in the air.

There’s a price to pay, of course. It is called acceptance. For example, Bill Gates insists on doing everything his way. He’s a genius and he became a zillionaire. I insisted things be done my way much of my life. I drive a ten year old pickup truck. There’s a message there somewhere.


Self-Confidence


by David Griffin

  Any dead hero will tell you that youthful overconfidence and a craving for appreciation can be fatal. I find myself overjoyed to have muddled through my younger years without anyone killing me, although a few friends and relatives may have given it a thought from time to time. Unrestrained and unwarranted self-certainty happily leveled off a half century ago at the end of my teen years. Had it followed a natural arc of ascending absurdity, I would have been impossible to live with today. As it is, I’m only annoying.

All I ever wanted was to grow up. My earliest memories as a child are filled with instances where I tried to be a man long before I was able. As I grew older I stumbled forward on the narrow boards of my ego.

In the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, as a boy I thought I was the world’s next genius.

CONTINUED HERE: http://morecontinued.blogspot.com/2015/08/continued-self-confidence.html

2 comments:

  1. Testing one....two....three. Great, I learned something. As for the posting: all I can say is that I've become well acquainted with what is inside Dave. I hope the doctors can remove the bad stuff and leave enough so that he can continue to help stupid people like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your story on Self confidence.....so true.... most of us have a sense of inferiority but by trying and trying (whatever our "bent" is) and racking up successful accomplishments puts us on the path to feeling good about oneself - without the cover up of arrogance.

    ReplyDelete